Every guest is looking for high-quality pillows when they choose the hotel where they will stay. Comfortable pillows provide guests with a great night of sleep so they can be ready for a full day of sightseeing or quality time. The best hotel pillow will give guests a luxurious, vacation-like feeling while still providing plenty of support and comfort throughout the night. When choosing pillows, here are some essential factors to consider: filling material, price, durability, and ease of care.
There are four main types of fill material: down, down alternative, feather, and memory foam. Down comes from ducks and geese. It’s the fine, soft feathers found underneath the more rigid exterior feathers. The price is usually between $70-$100. Down alternative is made from synthetic fibers. Down alternative pillows are between $20-$30. Feather pillows use the coarse outer feathers from ducks and geese. They are usually $25-$50. Finally, memory foam is a viscoelastic polyfoam that softens in response to body heat but regains its shape as it cools. They usually cost around $40-$60.
Factors to consider when choosing pillow
- Suitability for a wide range of sleepers: high-quality pillows should be comfortable regardless of sleep position or body size. It should be suitable for most guests.
- Consideration of guests with allergies is very important. Choosing pillows with a down alternative is a good way to avoid allergies.
- Durability: the cover of the pillow should resist stains, and the cover should be woven tightly enough to prevent feathers and down from escaping. Durable pillows also help hoteliers save money on changing pillows.
- Ease of Cleaning: Ease of cleaning makes pillows easy to maintain and last a long time.
- Sleeping Position: ideal pillow firmness depends on whether you’re a side, back, or stomach sleeper. Hoteliers should provide different types of firmness for their guests to choose.
- Most hotels provide guest rooms with standard-sized (20 x 26 inch) pillows, because they accommodate most body sizes and types. Some luxury hotels offer larger sizes such as queen (20 x 30 inch) or king (20 x 36 inch) pillows in rooms with larger beds.
Do not overlook the care of pillows
Although choosing the right pillow is very important, knowing how to care for and maintain the pillows is also essential.
Tips for down pillows:
- Washing two pillows at once, so that your washing machine stays balanced during the spin cycle.
- Wash using gentle, additive-free soap and the fastest possible spin speed to prevent moisture from lingering.
- Use non-chlorine bleach to whiten pillows.
- Avoid fabric softener, as it can make feathers lose their fluffiness.
- Make sure the pillows are completely dry to prevent mold from forming.
Tips for memory form pillows:
- Wash the pillows by hand in the sink or bathtub, using warm water and a small amount of gentle detergent.
- Dunk the pillow for about ten minutes and squeeze it so that the detergent soaks into the material.
- Squeeze the water out of the foam, but do not wring out the pillow. This can damage the foam.
- Place the pillow on a flat, dry surface in a well-ventilated area.